So I am extremely grateful that despite my shortcomings in the kitchen, my children enjoy a healthy, varied, predominantly home cooked diet. At least Daddy can cook.
However...I am trying. Mr J works away a lot, and I need to be able to pull something other than pasta out of the bag. I'm going to cook a different meal every week and post the outcome (good or bad) on my blog.
Nana's Chilli Con Carne (serves 4)
800g lean beef mince
1 tin chopped tomatoes
1 tbsp tomato puree
1 tin kidney beans
Beef stock cube
1 large onion, chopped
1 green pepper, chopped
Lots of potatoes
Salt and pepper to season
Hot chilli powder
200g cheddar cheese, grated
Parsley to garnish
1. Brown the mince over a medium heat. Remove and set aside.
2. Soften the onions in olive oil. Add the mince, the chopped tomatoes, the tomato puree and the green pepper.
3. Season with salt, pepper and a generous helping of chilli powder (depending on how spicy you want it!)
4. Add one pint of boiling water to beef stock cube, mix well and add.
5. Simmer over low heat, mixing occasionally.
6. Peel and slice potatoes (thick slices), and boil them while meat is simmering.
7. Drain kidney beans and add. Mix well and continue simmering.
8. Preheat oven.
9. Drain potatoes and layer them over the top of the meat.
10. Sprinkle cheese over the top of the potatoes. You should have a nice thick layer!
11. Sprinkle paprika over the top and pop pot in the oven. Wait for the cheese to melt, then remove and tuck in!